I noticed that a couple of tests in my current Elixir project were a little slow, so I set out to find a way to profile them… I quickly found this this helpful blog post (thanks, Joseph Kain!), and tried out ExProf — but afterward, like Joseph said, “At this point I was a little confused by the results.”

So I kept reading Joseph’s post, wherein he tried out Erlang’s fprof. This looked better (as he says) because fprof supports display of call chains, providing a lot more useful context. Better still, I found his followup post that taught me about how recent versions of Elixir come with a Mix task (mix profile.fprof) for profiling that produces friendlier output.

The Mix task didn’t give me an easy way to wrap a slow test, though: it’s good for measuring an easily-isolatable bit of code like a single function, but sometimes tests involve setup that’s harder to isolate… so I cooked up this little macro and dropped it into my project’s test/test_helper.exs:

defmodule FProf do
  defmacro profile(do: block) do
    content = quote do
      Mix.Tasks.Profile.Fprof.profile(fn -> unquote(block) end,
        warmup: false, sort: "acc", callers: true)
    end
    Code.compile_quoted(content)
  end
end

When I notice that a test runs slowly, I can temporarily wrap just the “meat” of it (avoiding asserts extraneous stuff like the ExVCR setup here) like this:

test "service gets a single movie" do
  use_cassette "movie_finder", match_requests_on: [:query] do
    # assert MovieFinder.find(313369).title == "La La Land"
    profile do
      Movies.MovieFinder.find(313369)
    end
  end
end

I’m probably missing something here that I haven’t figured out yet: though the test module has alias Movies.MovieFinder in it, I had to use the full module name in the profile block.

This code got me the answer I needed, though, so I’ve declared victory and moved on: I found that though I’m using ExVCR to avoid hitting an external HTTP API from my tests, my rate-limiter module, which I use to avoid hammering the external API, was sometimeskicking in. I fixed it by configuring a dummy rate-limiter module in the test environment.